This warming chicken soup recipe is from Dr. Fleury’s “Breakfast…It’s Just Another Meal” recipe book. If you’re looking for an easy, nourishing recipe that accommodates a gluten-free diet, this is one to try.
In Dr. Fleury’s words, “Here’s what I love about this idea and why this worked so well with my family. Soup is warm, filling, and easy to make ahead or the night before and just reheat. It’s as quick as making a toast or cooking a bowl of oatmeal, and it has no grains and high healthy fats. Plus, if you have extra, you can throw it in a wide mouth thermos and now you have a healthy lunch packed and ready for your day! See how easy this eating healthy thing is?”
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts or leftover chicken from a roast chicken
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 medium carrots chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- Saute onion in oil in a 4-quart heavy pot, covered, over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add carrots, celery, salt, and pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add water, broth and chicken, cover, and let simmer for 15 – 20 minutes