Dr Jacqui Fleury, ND of True Potential Health Clinic appears in another Healthy Living segment on Global TV in Saskatoon.
Spring is a time of renewal and new beginnings, which generally brings with it more energy and optimism.
Sunshine releases endorphins which brightens our moods, plus there is less melatonin production which helps us feel more energetic in the mornings.
This is a good opportunity to take advantage of the earlier mornings by getting up and practicing self care routines in the morning before starting your work day. Think of this like you’re building your savings account – you are building and fostering self-care practices that can become routines by the time the days start to get shorter again and our moods start to tank.
Kickstart your Spring Mood Makeover
Here are 5 suggestions for a Spring Mood Makeover:
- Get some sunshine as early as you can in the morning will shut off melatonin production and give you more energy throughout the day. This will also help you sleep deeper at night, especially since it is still light later in the evening.
- Keep supplementing with your Vitamin D – most people assume that in the spring they are getting more sun and don’t need as much Vitamin D, but spring still has cold and cloudy days and we aren’t getting full body exposure. So stay with your Vitamin D and if you’re wondering about your levels, get your blood tested to make sure you are optimal.
- Snow mold can kick up your spring allergies and make you feel groggy and tired and congested. Things like Vitamin C, probiotics, and fish oils can help offset the effects of the mold.
- When we look good we feel good. And our skin takes a real beating over the winter. Nutrients like collagen and Vitamin C and fish oils can give our skin a fresher glow, as can a facial and a spring cleanse.
- Yard work is the new cross fit?!? Being active outside and connecting with nature is great for all our senses – and it keeps your body moving in a functional way. You can turn your weeding into squats and hand grips, raking is good for your core, etc. At the end of the day, your body will feel like its had a good workout. And you’ll have a beautiful yard to show for it.
Watch the segment on Global for more information.