Summer is a great time for relaxing, being active, and getting lots of sun and fresh air. As we head into fall and back to school, it’s easy to start to feel stressed and overwhelmed by the end of summer and the beginning of new routines.
There are two main areas we want to focus on as we head back indoors for the start of a new school year. The first thing is to do things that help us cope with stress, and the second is to do things that support healthy immunity.
Top 5 Nutrients to Support a Healthy Immune System This Fall
So here are the top 5 nutrients we need to buffer the effects of stress and to support healthy immunity:
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids – found in salmon, trout, or in fish oil capsules – these oils help our brains and nervous system. They are also anti-inflammatory and can help support healthy immune function.
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C is also an antioxidant and has anti-inflammatory effects. It’s one of the most important nutrients for both our adrenal glands and our immune system. Look for Vitamin C in red bell peppers and brussels sprouts as a nice alternative to the more commonly thought of sources such as citrus fruit.
- B Vitamins – especially vitamin B12 and Vitamin B5, which are both super important when it comes to buffering the effects of stress. B12 for the brain, B5 for your adrenal glands.
- Probiotics – healthy gut flora enables us to absorb all those precious nutrients we consume in our diet, supports the 70 percent of the immune system that is in your gut, and helps our brains work better.
- Water – 2 liters of water a day, and for every cup of coffee you drink a day you can add another 8 oz of water! Water helps keep your brain firing as well as keeps your mucous membranes and airways well hydrated as we spend more time indoors with the furnace running.
Watch Dr. Jacqui’s full interview on Global Morning’s Facebook Page.