This hearty fall dish features protein-rich lentils and earthy, fibre-loaded mushrooms packed into acorn squash, a versatile seasonal vegetable that is packed with immune-supportive vitamin C, vitamin A, and antioxidants.
This lentil and mushroom stuffed squash also makes an excellent gluten-free and dairy-free option to keep in mind for the holidays.
Keep reading for the full recipe.
1 acorn squash, halved and seeds removed
1/2 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed
1 1/2 cups cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Place the squash halves cut side down in a baking dish. Add about ¼ inch of water to the dish, then bake the squash for 30 minutes, or until starting to soften.
- Pour the vegetable broth into a saucepan and add lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil to a frying pan. Add onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes until translucent.
- Add chopped mushrooms, thyme, and salt and pepper. Continue to cook until you have cooked the moisture out of the mushrooms.
- When the lentils are done, combine them with the mushroom mixture.
- When squashes have cooked for 30 minutes, remove them from the oven and stuff each half with the lentil and mushroom mixture.
- Return the stuffed squashes to the oven and bake for an additional 30 minutes, until easily pierced with a fork.