This velvety butternut squash soup is comfort in a bowl on a chilly fall day and uses simple seasonal ingredients. Not only is it delicious, but the vitamin A, vitamin C, and fibre in this squash are great for your skin, gut, and immune system. This recipe suits gluten-free and dairy-free diets.
Keep reading for the full recipe!
- 1 medium-sized butternut squash, peeled with seeds removed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium apple, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 inch knob of ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add diced onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and grated ginger and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the cubed butternut squash, diced carrot, and sliced apple to the pot and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, enough to cover the vegetables. Bring to a bowl, then reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender. If you want a chunkier soup, separate half of your soup to blend, then pour back into your pot and stir to combine.
- Add the ground cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Stir well and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more broth if you want to thin your soup out.
- Serve hot and enjoy!