Healthy Tissue = Less of an Issue
In naturopathic medicine, the focus is always on a person’s overall health (“the terrain”) rather than the illness, because a healthy person has cells that function more optimally. Healthy cells can take in food, eliminate waste, and carry out their jobs efficiently. This means a better chance of preventing illness and less risk of complications if you do get sick. One way to protect your cells and ensure that they remain healthy during times of increased stress is to use anti-oxidants. Anti-oxidants are nutrients found in certain foods (and supplements) that neutralize the harmful compounds in your body that can damage your cells. Damaged cells can’t do their jobs as well as healthy cells, so ensuring a high intake of anti-oxidants is good protection against these harmful compounds that are more abundant when we are under increased stress. Let’s increase Your Body’s Resiliency with Antioxidants
The Anti-Oxidant Connection
Anti-oxidants are a simple, food-based way to support the health of all of your cells, including those in your digestive and respiratory tract. By incorporating more of the following anti-oxidant rich foods into your diet regularly, you can support the optimal function of your body and increase your resiliency.
Top Five Anti-Oxidant Foods for Respiratory Health
- Chocolate – choose a high quality, dark chocolate with low sugar content for maximum benefit OR buy a pure, high quality cacao powder and add it to drinks and smoothies.
- Red, Purple, and Blue Fruits – choose organic if possible, and focus on berries. Have apples and grapes in moderation as they have a higher sugar content.
- Green Tea – choose organic and loose leaf or matcha if possible.
- Cruciferious Vegetables – especially broccoli, brussel sprouts, and cabbage.
- Citrus Fruits – especially lemon and lime (great squeezed into your water), oranges and grapefruit in moderation due to higher sugar content.
If you are concerned and want to protect your health with antioxidants, please contact us at True Potential Health Services in Saskatoon, SK, to book a consult with one of our Naturopathic Doctors. We have a variety of supplemental anti-oxidants that can offer additional support for those who may need it.
By Dr. Michelle Marcoux, ND