I am always looking for creative ways to get veggies into my kids and this healthy muffin recipe is one of my new discoveries. I modified a recipe for paleo bran muffins to incorporate a good amount of zucchini without compromising the taste or the texture. The zucchini and the dates add a touch of sweetness and the flax and seeds add some fiber and protein.
These are a great on the go snack for kids and adults alike. Both my toddler and my baby gobbled these up so fast that I had to make them again the next day because the request for “more muffins” was relentless. Enjoy!
- 1 medium zucchini
- ½ cup brown flax meal
- ¼ cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- 1-2 tbsp coconut flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup medool dates, roughly chopped and pitted
- 2 large eggs
- Optional: ½ cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease or line a muffin tin.
- Grate the zucchini and blend in a food processor with the flax, seeds, 1 tbsp of coconut flour, baking soda, salt, dates, and eggs until everything is uniformly blended and there are no large chunks of date or zucchini. Mixture should be very moist looking but not runny. If it looks a bit runny, blend in the extra tbsp of coconut flour.
- Stir in raisins if using, and spoon a generous tbsp of the batter into each muffin cup or liner.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until middle of muffin is firm to the touch and not mushy. You can also test with a toothpick if desired.
- Let cool for 1 hour before removing from pan and eating.
Makes 12 muffins