Dr. Darlene Ahenakew appeared on CTV Morning Live on July 9, 2015 to chat with host Mike Ciona about natural hangover remedies.
Visit CTV Morning Live to watch the full video. Read on for some handy hangover tips.
Where Do Hangovers Come From?
Hangover symptoms are a product of dehydration, low blood sugar and the poisonous side effects from toxins in our drinks.
Prevention is the KEY!!!
How Can I Prevent a Hangover?
- Don’t drink on an empty stomach. Before you go out, have a meal that includes carbohydrates (such as pasta or rice) or fats. The food will help slow down the body’s absorption of alcohol.
- Don’t drink dark-coloured drinks if you’ve found that you’re sensitive to them. They contain natural chemicals which irritate blood vessels and tissue in the brain and can make a hangover worse.
- Drink water in between each alcoholic drink. Carbonated (fizzy) drinks speed up the absorption of alcohol into your system. Water will not only help hydrate your muscles and organs, but will also aid in flushing out the toxins.
- Drink a pint or so of water before you go to sleep. Keep a glass of water by the bed to sip if you wake up during the night.
- Activated charcoal can help bind toxins and be excreted.
- Take your B vitamins to help your liver quickly detox the alcohol from your body – B complex, B6, B12 are all important.
- Coconut water helps replenish electrolytes without the gunk in Gatorade.
- Bouillon cubes or miso soup, full of vitamins and minerals, are easy to digest on a fragile stomach.