Dr Michelle Marcoux shares her recipe for grain free muffins:
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded (or roughly cubed if you have a good blender)
- 2 large, very ripe, bananas
- ¾ cup of tahini (sesame seed butter) or pumpkin seed butter
- 2 tbsp of yacon syrup (or maple syrup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips (I use stevia sweetened ones – Lily’s or Krisda brand)
Preheat oven to 350F. Blend zucchini, banana, seed butter, syrup, eggs, and vanilla in a blender until smooth. Measure flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl and stir to combine. Pour blender ingredients into bowl and stir until just combined. Add in choc chips and combine gently. Distribute evenly among 12 muffin tins with liners and bake for 30-35 minutes until tops are browned and centers are firm to the touch. Allow to cool at least 30 minutes before removing from pan.
NOTE: this is a modification of a recipe from ambitiouskitchen.com.
For more ideas for healthy kids meals, please read Dr Michelle Marcoux, ND’s blog post: Kids Meal Ideas from a Naturopathic Doctor.